Last updated: 09/05/2018
The London Foot and Ankle Centre Limited (LFAC) collect store and use personal data during our work every day, such as medical records and computerised information.
We take our duty to protect your personal information and confidentiality very seriously and take all reasonable measures to ensure the confidentiality and security of personal data for which we are responsible.
LFAC’s lawful basis for processing a patient’s data is based on the Contract we have with the patient. We need to process the patient’s data (name, address, DOB, email address and medical records / images) in order to make a contract with them for consultation and treatment. (GDPR Article 6(1) (b)
How do we collect information about you?
We keep records about your health and any treatment. These records help to ensure that you receive the best possible care. They may be written down in paper records or held on computer.
We keep records of medico-legal instruction. These records include not only records on a claimant’s health and treatment but also legal documentation relating to the progression of a claim. There records may be written down or held on computer.
It is essential that your details are accurate and up to date. Always check that your personal details are correct when you visit us and please inform us of any changes as soon as possible.
Who do we share personal information with?
Everyone working within LFAC has a legal duty to keep information about you confidential. Similarly, anyone who receives information from us has a legal duty to keep it confidential.
We will not disclose your information to any other third parties except where there is a legitimate interest, we may share information with:
- Medical Professionals engaged by us to carry out services to you.
- Your GP or medical practitioner – we will contact your GP or medical practitioner following an outpatient consultation and with a discharge summary following any inpatient or day case procedure.
- The hospital if you are being treated as an inpatient and require an overnight stay.
- To submit claims relating to your treatment to your insurer or any other third party covering the cost of any treatment or assessment on your behalf.
- The Department of Health or any other statutory body to whom we are required to submit data.
- Authorised organisations to convert your data into an anonymised statistical form.
- We will provide information to progress your medico-legal claim in accordance with your solicitor’s instructions and guidance from the Courts.
How your personal information is used to improve the service we provide.
Your information may also be used to:
- Review the care we provide to ensure it is of the highest standard and quality.
- Ensure our service can meet patient needs in the future
- Investigate patient queries, complaints and legal claim
- Ensure that we receive payment for the care you receive
- Prepare statistics on our performance
- Help train and educate healthcare professionals.
- As part of the LFAC Consultants’ regular appraisal based on the GMC guidelines for Good Medical Practice
Disclosure of Information
You have the right to restrict how and with whom we share the personal information in your records that identifies you. You can also change your mind at any time about a disclosure decision. Please contact the DPO at the address below to do this.
How you can access your records?
The Data Protection Act 1988/The EU General Data Protection Regulations give you the right to access the information we hold about you on our records (subject access requests – SARs), to review it and to request deletion.
Such requests must be made in writing to LFAC Limited. We will provide information to you within one month of receipt of a written request containing adequate supporting information (such as your full name, address, date of birth, patient number, proof of identification etc.).
LFAC Limited must be able to verify your identity using “reasonable means”.
Please send all requests to the below address along with an indication of what information you are requesting to enable us to locate it in an efficient manner.
This can be extended by a further two months where the request is complex or where here are numerous requests. If this is the case, we will contact you within one month of the receipt of the request and explain why the extension is necessary.
The Data Controller responsible for keeping your information confidential is: Kathryn Walker
London Foot and Ankle Centre Ltd
ICO Registration Number Z2108849
Hospital of St. John & St. Elizabeth
60 Grove End Road,
St. John’s Wood, London
Tele: 0207 078 3800
The Date Protection Act 1989 requires organisation to loge a notification with the Information Commissioner to describe the purposed for which they process personal information. These details are publicly available from:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tele: 08456 306060
LFAC Limited has appointed a Data Protection Officer – Kathryn Walker. The role of the DPO is to monitor compliance with the GDPR, train staff and conduct internal audits and to be the first point of contact for supervisory authorities and for individuals whose data is processed.
Should you wish to contact the DPO please email: [email protected] or call 0207 078 3800 / 07471 904316
We keep our Privacy Notice under regular review. This Privacy Notice will be up-dated in May 2019.